Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Hard Ever After (A Hard Ink Novella) by Laura Kaye

Review and Character Study Playlist


When I heard that Laura Kaye was taking votes on which Hard Ink couple should get a wedding novella, my heart was so very happy!  These characters certainly deserved a HEA after what they went through and Nick and Becca's wedding was a "must attend" event of the spring. I originally read the entire Hard Ink series over the course of a week while attending a conference for my day job in Vegas.  Every evening I would think, “Should I stay in and read more Hard Ink, or explore Vegas?”.  Not gonna lie, many times I choose Hard Ink (don’t worry though, I’ll be visiting/exploring Vegas again soon for the RT Convention in April).

Hard Ever After was, overall, a really satisfying end cap to the series.  We got to visit the characters again and see how their lives were progressing.  Characters shared big news from their lives and we got to see the boys and gals kick some ass again.  My only real complaint about the book was that we didn’t get to see Easy and Jenna more.  Theirs was the only HEA that seemed slightly tentative after the series finished and some sort of commitment or closer look at their relationship would have made Hard Ever After a perfect end-cap novella for me.

In honor of the Hard Ink series and Laura Kaye’s paperback release of Hard Ever After, I’ve put together a character study playlist that has one song representing each of the Hard Ink crew.  Nick, Becca, Shane, Sara, Easy, Jenna, Derek, Emilie, Jeremy, Charlie, Beckett and Kat are all here!  Do you agree with my choices? Just a Note: Derek’s choice, "Brown Eyed Girl", really comes straight from Hard to Come By.  I loved the scene where Derek and Emilie are dancing out by the water ;)


Nick: "Never Gonna Leave This Bed"-Maroon 5
Becca: "Here Comes The Sun"-The Beatles
Shane: "Gimme Shelter"-The Rolling Stones 
Sara: "Bleeding Love"-Leona Lewis
Easy: "Chasing Cars"-Snow Patrol
Jenna: "Sugar, You"-Oh Honey
Derek: "Brown Eyed Girl"-Van Morrison
Emilie: "Today’s the Day"-P!nk
Jeremy: "Can’t Stop"-Red Hot Chili Peppers
Charlie: "Home"-Michael Buble
Beckett: "Feeling This"-blink-182
Kat: "Ex’s & Oh’s"-Elle King


I rate this book:
HeartHeartHeartHeart
What did you think of Hard Ever After? Are there any songs that remind you of Nick, Becca, the Hard Ink Crew and their HEAs?

No comments:

Post a Comment