Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Just Like Heaven (Smythe-Smith Quartet #1) by Julia Quinn


Mini-Review and Curated Soundtrack


I’ve been doing a lot of historical rereads over the past week and I restumbled upon Just Like Heaven by Julia Quinn. Just Like Heaven is one of my favorite Quinn novels. Sure, I like the Bridgerton’s series (who doesn’t), but something about Honoria and Marcus just makes me swoon. Friends-to-lovers is a trope I could read all day, everyday, and Just Like Heaven certainly plays into my weakness. By the time of the musicale at the end of this novel I’m dying for Marcus and Honoria to just get on with it already.

The playlist I’ve created for Just Like Heaven is full of pieces that the Smythe-Smith Quartet actually could have played in any given year. The instrumentation of the pieces on the playlist may not be exactly what the Smythe-Smith ladies attempted, but all of songs were popular “parlor music” or “drawing room songs” in the Regency. The list consists of classical sonatas along with several Irish and Scottish tunes that were popular at the time (in the right setting, of course, due to the political undertones). The three movements of the Mozart piece that the Quartet played at the musicale in Just Like Heaven are the first things on the list.



I rate this book:
HeartHeartHeartHeartHeart
What did you think of the Just Like Heaven?
Are there any songs that remind you of Honoria, Marcus and their HEA?

No comments:

Post a Comment