Monday, October 3, 2016

Fighting Chance (Misty Grove #1) by Victoria Paige


Fighting Chance by Victoria Paige

Release: September 20th, 2016
Romance Subgenre: Romantic Suspense
Series: Misty Grove #1

One small town.
One dead sheriff.
A town with secrets.

Newly appointed sheriff Trent Stone is investigating the murder of his predecessor. This leads him to Misty Grove, a town lined with innocent diners and general stores, but his gut instinct tells him that nothing is what it seems.

It doesn’t help that his first encounter with one of its citizens is at the end of her shotgun.

A beautiful hellion.

Cassandra Reed is unlike any woman he has ever met. She’s tough and sassy, yet her eyes hold a vulnerability that calls to his protective side. Trent’s dedication to his job has always caused the demise of his previous relationships, so what is it about Cassie now that compels him to risk it all, especially when she has made it clear she doesn’t need his protection?

When Cassie brushes off injuries from a suspicious incident, Trent’s need to serve and protect deepens into an alarming obsession over a woman who challenges his every instinct of self-preservation. Staying away from her is not an option, and he will be damned if he lets Cassie deny the growing attraction between them.

But when the town’s secrets are revealed, he discovers he’s in over his head. As a mere sheriff, the menace that looms over Misty Grove is way above his pay grade. Before the threat can rip away the woman who has come to mean everything to him, Trent will have to make a tough decision. One that will give him and Cassie a fighting chance at a future together.

*Strong sexual content and language. Can be read as a standalone, but may leave questions about secondary characters who will become the protagonists in upcoming books.




Character Study


“What just happened?” That’s the first thing I thought after finishing up Fighting Chance by Victoria Paige. Seriously, if you haven’t picked up this book yet you should do that ASAP. It’s kinda like a trip on the crazy train, but it’s so, so good. Cassie and Trent’s relationship is beyond complicated. He’s the sheriff, she’s got a past as an ex-assassin, and yet they can’t stay away from each other. Really, romantic suspense fans should one-click this book right now. GO GO GO.

Even though I’m going to highly recommend this book to lots of romance readers, I will say that I had some major issues with Trent as a character. He was protective and alpha and pretty all-around lovable, but we didn’t get to see much of his past and that bothered me. Since we didn’t know much about his past I couldn’t wrap my head around his internal and external motivations. We do know he was protective of Cassie, that he wants to get it on with her pretty much all the time, and that he’s ex-military...but that’s it. Also, I love a good dirty-talkin’ hero, really I do. But Trent came on so strong with the dirty talk right away with Cassie, it took me aback right away and I’m not sure I recovered. That all being said, I still really loved Fighting Chance, like a lot a lot. I would read it all over again in a heartbeat even knowing that Trent's background might bother me!

It was easy for me to create a playlist based on Cassie and Trent’s feelings for each other since their relationship was so relatable on a basic level. Boy likes girl. Girl likes boy. Girl doesn’t feel worthy since she’s got shit going down. Boy sets out to prove that he loves the girl. See relatable!






“Fix” by Chris Lane

Hey girl, you know what you’ve been missing?
Me, me, yeah
Hey girl, whoever you’ve been kissing
It ain’t me, me
I got that love medicinal
I’ll make you feel invincible
I’m more than recreational
I'm what you need








“Bad Intentions” by Niykee Heaton
I've got some damn bad intentions
I got some secrets I forgot to mention
Haven't learnt my lesson














“Make You Miss Me” by Sam Hunt
You think it's easy, but that's a lie
The only reason that you're good at goodbye is
Every boy you ever met, was too easy to forget
Well, I ain't going out like that













“I Wish I Was” by Maren Morris
So go on, hate me if you have to
I hate myself too
'Cause as much as I want to be
I'm not the hero in the story
I'm not the girl that gets the glory
'Cause you're looking for true love
And I'm not the one
But I wish, but I wish I was








“The Heart Wants What It Wants” by Selena Gomez
The bed's getting cold and you're not here
The future that we hold is so unclear
But I'm not alive until you call
And I'll bet the odds against it all
Save your advice 'cause I won't hear
You might be right but I don't care
There's a million reasons why I should give you up
But the heart wants what it wants
The heart wants what it wants



What did you think of Fighting Chance?
Are there any songs that remind you of Trent, Cassie and their HEA?




About Victoria Paige
I work as a freelance database administrator, and when I’m not geeking out, I write romantic suspense novels. I live in Richmond, Va—less than two hours away from Washington DC—so most of the settings of my books are in the nation’s capital—of course, I’m not averse to creating fictional towns and cities. When I’m not arguing with the alpha male characters in my head, I love to watch high-octane action movies. I think Jack Bauer is the shit, which is why most of my characters are such badasses bent on saving the world from evil doers. I love reading adult contemporary, paranormal, urban fantasy, historical, romantic suspense, and a few new adult fiction as well as military non-fiction.

No comments:

Post a Comment